The Best Way To Get Rid Of Roaches On Your Margate Property
August 13, 2021 - Cockroaches
These nasty little pests will breed without you being aware until it's too late. Then, before you know it, you have a roach infestation! Of the 4,000 types of roaches found worldwide, 55 of them call the United States home. Most of these we never see, because they make their homes in nature, where they are beneficial to the ecosystem. As hard as it is to believe, we need these roaches to play their role. Out there, that is, not in your home.
Meet The Cockroaches Of East Florida
Here are three types that plague us here in Eastern Florida:
- American cockroach - They are the largest roach in the United States, measuring up to two inches long. Their bodies are brown with a yellowish figure eight marking. They can fly short distances.
- Smokey brown cockroach - They are a rich brown color and one inch in length. Known as avid flyers attracted lights.
- German cockroach - These are tan or light brown with a slightly metallic sheen. They measure at ¾ inches. They have wings but do not fly.
They are also incredibly resilient. Did you know that if you try to kill one by washing it down the drain, it will just come back? Why? Because they can hold their breath for 40 minutes! They can also live for a whole week without their heads.
Where Are These Roaches Coming From?
There are a few ways a wayward roach can find its way into your home and it won’t be long before they begin to breed.
- They can be brought in unknowingly via a cardboard box or a piece of second-hand furniture. They may even hitch a ride in your purse or suitcase.
- If you live in an apartment or duplex, it’s as simple as crawling through the wall from the adjacent dwelling.
- Cracks in walls, defective door sweeps, and widows with damaged or missing screens may be entry points.
- They may even come from the grocery store. Now that’s gross.
The American Cockroach female will give birth approximately 90 times in her life span. She will have 15 babies per birth in the course of her one-year life span. That’s 1,350 babies from just one roach. These roaches do not nest, they deposit each egg sac in a different location. This makes them very difficult to get rid of.
Why DIY Methods Fail
There are so many different products for roaches on the market that you will spend days researching the best and safest methods. From traps to liquid concentrates, from granules to boric acid, all temporary solutions. Locating and targeting the ‘nesting’ areas are difficult for the average DIYer, especially since there really isn’t a nest to be found.
These products are caustic and need to be handled correctly so that your loved ones are not adversely affected. You can also try these less invasive methods:
- Fabric softener sheets
- Coffee grounds
- Cayenne pepper
- Bay leaves
You will discover that DIY methods are expensive and short-lived. You may get temporary results and feel like you have triumphed, but it won’t be long before they return.
How Do I Get Rid Of These Roaches?
Good question, we are glad you asked. Here in Margate, we have the optimal cockroach breeding ground. Hot and humid, just the way they like it. We also lack harsh winters of the north that aid in diminishing the roach population. Add this all up and you get roach paradise. At Pro Pest Control we have become roach experts. We are familiar with the different species and the best ways to eradicate cockroaches quickly and safely. Call today for a free estimate and get started with quality pest control in Margate.